New Secrets of Successful Show Dog Handling explains all about dog show training and exhibiting purebred dogs. With interest in show dogs, purebred dogs and best in show dogs skyrocketing, this definitive guide reveals the actual practices and procedures, plus training a show dog, dog conformation and the etiquette involved in all aspects of showing dogs. Whether you are a novice dog handler or a professional dog handler, with authors Peter Green and Mario Migliorini’s complete and thorough advice in New Secrets of Successful Show Dog Handling, you will learn handling techniques for success in dog showmanship and the important subtleties of the game that will bring out the best in show dogs.
SUCCESS IN THE DOG SHOW RING
• What showing dogs is all about.
• Early dog show training.
• Setting up your dog, baiting, ring procedures, conditioning.
• Dog conformation, presentation, ring strategy.
• Tricks of the trade.
• The secret formula for success.
• Publicizing your dog.
Softcover, 8 1/2 x 11, 176 pages, illustrated, appendix, glossary
AUTHORS PETER GREEN & MARIO MIGLIORINI
Peter Green is one of the foremost professional dog handlers in America today with multiple prestigious accomplishments to his credit. He is a Westminster Dog Show winner, with an unprecedented four “Best in Show” wins.
Mario Migliorini, a successful breeder, trainer and handler on two continents, has written more than twenty-five books and numerous articles in major magazines.
NEW SECRETS OF SUCCESSFUL SHOW DOG HANDLING CONTENTS
• What dog shows are all about
• What makes a show dog?
• Leash training and other basics
• Show training puppies
• Basic posing techniques
• Stacking medium, large and giant breeds
• All-breed shows, specialty shows, dog show procedures
• Junior showmanship
• Attending a dog show
• In the ring
• Presentation and ring strategy
• Handling in the groups and best in show
• Tricks of the trade
• The secret formula
• Publicizing your dog
• What successful amateur handlers say
• Violations and disqualifications
REVIEWS OF NEW SECRETS OF SUCCESSFUL SHOW DOG HANDLING
“Even if your conformation enjoyment is as a spectator . . . you’ll become a much more savvy observer . . .”
– Kathy Diamond Davis, author
“Readers following the advice of authors Green and Migliorini . . .may find themselves on their way to the winner’s circle.”
– Tim Dermody, Paws in Print
“ . . .a comprehensive guide for newcomers to the show ring, who wonder why professionals always win.”
– Suzanne Hively, Plain Dealer Reporter
“This really is a comprehensive, must-own book for the dog-show enthusiast – especially the new handler.”)
– Virginia Lyne, Dogs In Canada
“. . . brimming with photographs, line illustrations and a whole chapter on terms used in the world of dog training and handling.”
– Velma S. Daniels, Book ReviewerTelevision
“From puppy training to ring strategy and tricks of the trade, chapters give a solid, detailed foundation offering secrets that even veteran dog handlers might not be privy to.”
– James A. Cox, The Midwest Book Review
“Starting my second show dog’s career, after blundering my way through my first one, Peter Green and Mario Migliorini gave me excellent tips and strategies to make the handler pay more attention to his/her job.”
– Reader review